Linux Firewall, etc.

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 04:08:15PM -0400, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Hello,
> Does the following make sense? We have DSL here. I'm thinking of putting
> Linux or a box with two ethernet cards. One card would be connected to the
> DSL modem. The other card would be connected to our network. The linus
> machine would run a firewall and also distribute internet traffic to the
> other computers. The DSL modem now does the distributing. In addition, I
> would like to telnet into the Linux machine from myl Windows computer and
> run several instances of Lynx concurrently, so I could study different
> subjects or courses on the Web without losing my place, as I do if i try to
> use Internet Explorer.
> Where could I get good firewall software> I remember that Internet-sharing
> software is available from Roaring Penguin. How would this integrate with
> firewall software?

This sure makes sense.
You don't need extra software because the stuff that handles firewalls
in linux is built into the kernel (more or less, it could be
kernelmodules). What you need is to install linux and then find a good
documentation on the way your kernelversion handles firewalling. The
firewall stuff is called ipchains in Linux 2.2.x, and iptables in 2.4.x.

There are programs available to simplify the creation of firewall-rules,
but I think most are made for X, and so are hard to use.

/Peter, who just lost his firewall due to faulty cache in the CPU
--
Alpha Test Version:  Too buggy to be released to the paying public.
Beta Test Version:  Still too buggy to be released.