Re: How to use backports?

On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 16:26 -0400, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> It turns out, for my project, I would prefer to use the "kernel
> integration mode", since I would really like to turn off loadable
> modules (not needed for my space-constrained embedded target).  But if
> the "too hard" LED comes on, I can let that go.

You can try it I guess.

For the "loadable module" mode you just remove "--integrate" from the
command line and use a new (empty) directory for the output - the system
then leaves there a setup where you can use "make menuconfig" etc. for
out-of-tree module compilation.

> Anyway... am I looking in the wrong place for documentation?  Should I
> be looking elsewhere?

No, that seems about right, but nobody's maintaining it much.

> How do folks use backports anyway?

We use it with some of the devel/ scripts to make a git tree that
follows the upstream kernel tree, but that just uses gentree internally.

> OK, I'll try that.  Thanks.
> (that just failed to find a
> ../buildroot/build/linux-custom/backports/Kconfig... which smells a
> little like bitrot to me).

That's ... a bit strange, that's the file it should be creating there
for the integration?

> If folks don't tend to use this tool on Ubuntu LTS releases, what
> version of Linux do you use it on?  What is known to work?

I usually use one of Debian/testing or Fedora (currently F27 while I
wait for some things I can't upgrade).

We do run it one some kind of Ubuntu LTS at work, but I suspect they
also installed spatch by hand, no idea how though.

johannes