Re: Bumping required kernels to 3.0 for Linux backports ?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 08:45:08PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Now, I'm all for dropping support if it really makes a difference, and
> we might want to drop them from the ckmake tests to reduce the pain, but
> I'm not entirely sure we should wholesale remove things if there are
> still users for them out there.

Speaking as an end-user of compat-wireless, compat-drivers, and later
backports, I used them because I was stuck using a nominally-outdated,
heavily-patched vendor-supplied kernel for an SoC/board that wasn't
[well] supported by the mainline kernel.

To make things worse, I was trying to get a driver for the cw1200 family
mainlined.  It finally made it into 3.11, but at the time, the bills
were being paid by supporting clients that were stuck on 2.6.28, 2.6.35
and 3.0, which coincidentally were what I was using to develop/test the
driver at the time of the 3.11 release.

I no longer have any skin in the game (I've moved on to mostly
microcontroller work) but please, don't drop support for older kernels
if the only reason is to save release-time checks, or worse, "just
because"

My $0.02,

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^