Re: Bumping required kernels to 3.0 for Linux backports ?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Harrison Lee <harrisonl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote=
:
> Compat-wireless drivers have been very useful to users like us, who have =
to work with embedded linux system based on old kernel. For example, we wor=
k on a arm based system with 2.6.28 kernel, and could use ath9k drivers tha=
nks to compat-wireless-3.6.8-1. The company who provided the SDK, a big nam=
e company, does not have any plan to upgrade the kernel, so we are stuck wi=
th it due to all the customized drivers for the chip.

compat-wireless is ancient and anyone giving you anything like a
release like that is not giving you the best, which is the latest, and
that is anything based on the latest kernel releases, right now, v3.14
based which I hope today to make a release.

> But the situation seems to be changing. Compat-drivers does not support 2=
.6.28 any more for ath9k. It only supports from 2.6.30 according to "depend=
encies" list.

compat-drivers is ancient as well, the new project is backports and we
will be deprecating older kernels to help us scale better.

> I've just joined the mailing list to learn how to backport wwan drivers. =
And the first message I see is about dumping supports for older kernels...

wwan drivers backports are welcomed, but backporting it to ancient
kenrels, anything below 3.0 is not something I wish to take on now
given the overhead and as I noted the objectives to scale.

> Would there be any alternatives for old kernel users, then?

You could upkeep the maintenance yourself on a separate tree.

  Luis