Re: Car/Scooter Development Quick Start Reference

Hi,

This unfortunately has come up quite a few times before. There's no
"bundle" way at the moment for applications other than what yocto was
told to build packages for. By default these are RPM's, but you can
configure it to generate .deb (Debian) type of packages.

Wrt to how to get an application on the target devices the simpliest way
I can think of is to have/generate your image with agl-devel distro
feature and then use scp to transfer those RPMs/DEB, where you'd to
reinstall it.
You can use externalsrc class or devtool which can be used to source the
src directory of your application. This implies that you already have a
recipe for that package and you can just issue bitbake
your_application_recipe.

There are alternatives like you've said by using the SDK: download
target images from download.automotivelinux.org and use the SDK to
compile your application. But nothing will generate a package that you
can install over so you'd have to literally copy binaries and libraries
to the target devices using scp.

Wrt to how to create layers and add recipes these are yocto/OE question
and have nothing in particular with the AGL project itself. agl-demo
directory contains a lot of application recipes. Easiest I can think of
is to copy/paste one of those and add the recipe name to the
packagegroup.  You'd probably have to iterate over that a few times
until you get it to work.

For UI type of application you'd have to choose between
Qt/Flutter/Web-HTML5 - you should be able to identify these based on
their dependencies. agl-demo-platform image is the "hello world" for Qt,
where you can explore and find out what application are running on it.
Similar for the Flutter and Html5 images. I'm not sure that a
terminal-based hello world would actually give any value. We'd need a
custom hello world for our different toolkits or specific domains:
telematics, instrument cluster, kuksa.val.

What we can probably due here is to improve our documentation and
point people to yocto/OE docs on how to create layers and recipes.
This would actually be quite beneficial if any of you is interested into
contributing to the AGL project, obviously once you figured it out to
actually create layers and add recipes, in a more generic way.

For Flutter in particular there's been some work to automate local
development [1]. This basically uses the SDK to build the app and it copies
everything required for the application to run on that device. It's a python
script. Maybe we can have something similar for other platforms as well,
but similary with the documentation bit above, it requires someone to actually
work on it.

[1] https://github.com/meta-flutter/workspace-automation