Re: Build error when using MACHINE=h3ulcb-kf

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023, Scott Murray via lists.automotivelinux.org wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2023, Sánta, Márton (ext) via lists.automotivelinux.org wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I send you the necessary information:
> >
> > Command line:
> >
> > source meta-agl/scripts/aglsetup.sh -m h3ulcb-kf -b build-h3ulcb-kf agl-demo agl-devel agl-virt agl-kvm agl-egvirt
>
> My apologies for the slow reply.  The simple answer is that agl-kvm is
> currently only known to work with the h3ulcb machine, specifically
> when configured for the AGL reference hardware (i.e. with the
> "agl-refhw-h3" feature), and there will be some work required to support
> other machines.
>
> The longer answer is that the cause is due to the BitBake restriction that
> multiconfigs all see the same layers.  That can lead to issues when BSP
> layers blindly apply configuration without using machine overrides.  For
> the agl-kvm build for the plain h3ulcb I fixed some things we had been
> doing in meta-agl-bsp, and I also resorted to using the more brute force
> solution of masking out meta-rcar-gen3 for the guest build.  Most of the
> errors you're seeing seem related to an interaction with the latter, but
> I'd not be surprised if there are some variable modifications being done
> for h3ulcb-kf in meta-agl-bsp that are missing overrides.
>
> I will spend some time tomorrow seeing if I can at least get
> agl-kvm-demo-platform to build for h3ulcb-kf.  That likely will not be
> sufficient for reproducing the demo we showed at CES, as there are some
> pieces of guest configuration for QEMU that are specific to the reference
> hardware.  I can point you at those once we can get an image to build.

I have uploaded changes to Gerrit to at least get agl-kvm-demo-platform
building for h3ulcb-kf, but with just the agl-kvm feature.  The
virtio-video driver fails to build here when agl-egvirt is specified, so
if you need that you will need to investigate or contact OpenSynergy for
assistance.  For needlefish branch the changes are:

https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/c/AGL/meta-agl-demo/+/28616
https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/c/AGL/meta-agl/+/28658

if you want to cherry-pick them locally instead of waiting for them to be
merged.  I would actually recommend that you switch to the octopus branch
if possible, as the last Needlefish release build has been done and we
will stop supporting it for anything other than major build fixes.

With respect to the QEMU configuration I mentioned, you will likely need
to change the .conf files for the agl-qemu-runner script, see e.g.

meta-agl-demo/recipes-config/qemu-config/files/agl-ivi-demo-platform-flutter.conf

The variable in there that you will most likely need to change is
QEMU_INPUT_OPT, the USB port configuration to pass through the touchscreen
input is AGL reference hardware specific.  If you do happen to have some
way to get a backend for virtio-can installed (I'm not aware of one
other than using OpenSynergy's), the QEMU_CAN_OPT variable is also
something you'd probably need to change.  On target, you can experiment
by tweaking the files in /etc/agl-qemu-runner and restarting the
associated agl-qemu-runner systemd service(s), e.g.
agl-qemu-runner@agl-ivi-demo-platform-flutter.service.

Scott