Re: Automotive Grade Linux and CAN Low Level #agl

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023, Antonio Giano wrote:

> Hi, I am an undergraduate student who is working on a thesis involving AGL. The focus is related to the interaction with CAN frames. Doing some research on the internet, I came across a service called agl-can-low-level-service. I therefore thought it would be for me.
>
> However, I encountered difficulties installing the agl-serivce-can-low-level widget (which can be found at the following link: https://git.automotivelinux.org/apps/agl-service-can-low-level/tree/docs/2-Installation.md).
>
> After installing the sdk following the instructions from the IOT.BZH team (link: https://github.com/automotive-grade-linux/docs-agl/blob/master/docs/getting-started/setup-sdk-environment.md) and after downloading the image (in my case QEMU: https://download.automotivelinux.org/AGL/snapshots/octopus/latest/qemux86-64/deploy/sdk/poky-agl-glibc-x86_64-agl-demo-platform-crosssdk-corei7-64-qemux86-64-toolchain-15.0.0.sh), I have difficulty running the cmake .. command for the above widget.
>
> Specifically, when I run the command inside the build directory of the agl-serivce-can-low-level folder, the following error is displayed: CMakeAfbTemplates is missing.
>
> I read, on the internet, that the CMakeAfbTempaltes file should be present in the sdk.
>
> What should I do for the compilation to be successful?

The last AGL release containing the application framework that the
agl-can-low-level-service binding uses was Lucky Lamprey (12.x).  So if
you want to use agl-can-low-level-service, you will either need to use
that branch (which is somewhat LTS at the moment, matching Yocto Project
dunfell), or for a newer branch you can try re-integrating the application
framework repositories (perhaps from IoT.bzh's github to get the latest
versions).

In a general sense, newer AGL releases do not contain an equivalent to
agl-can-low-level-service, as the members indicated that they're
content with their in-house solutions and do not want resources to go
into anything in that space.  So, for basic CAN frame receive/send in the
demo applications we're sticking to SocketCAN usage for now.   At a
somewhat higher level, along the lines of the the signal composer binding,
we've added the KUKSA.val server from Bosch, which implements the emerging
Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS) and Vehicle Information Service (VIS)
specs.

Scott