Re: Switching from agl-shell app-role AGL SHELL DESKTOP APP ROLE POPUP to AGL SHELL DESKTOP APP ROLE FULLSCREEN mode and vice versa causes problems

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 08:03:39AM -0800, Manikandan wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> I'm working on an application with two functionality: popup dialogue
> notification and full view window mode, which includes notification
> and a chart view for plotting live radar data.

> For popup dialogues, I created a separate application with a reference
> to the Alexa-viewer, and for radar plotting, I created a separate app
> based on the demo AGL Qt/Qml application. Both apps work fine on their
> own, but I need to open the radar plotting app when the button from
> the popup dialogue is clicked; both apps use the same API
> called "radar" to get radar live data from the service.

> When the radar plotting app is visible, I need to deactivate the popup
> dialogue, and when the plotting app is minimized, I need to reactivate
> the popup dialogue. So, I called deactivate agl-shell call when button
> clicked from popup dialogue and activate app call from home screen app
> when launcher app is active, a couple of minutes I was working fine
> after that it slowed down the process and also service and app API
> binding exited with errors.
Without any logs/journalctl there's isn't anything to suggest at this
point.

What exactly slows down? Application switching? Activation/deactivation of
the pop-up application or the fullscreen one? Or is information your
displaying in the application?

> My assumption was that two apps were using the same API at the same
> time so that it wasn't working properly.
IMO, it shouldn't be an issue, it should've worked fine.

> My questions: Is it possible to combine both functionalities in one
> application with two different agl-shell app-role and
> Is it possible to change the agl-shell app role dynamically?
No, as the the roles are currently defined they're set for the entire
life-time of the surface/application. There's is/was a JIRA spec for
transient surface roles, but there's nothing at this moment.

> Please provide me with some input and help from your side so that I
> can move forward.
Open a JIRA issue and add journalctl logs and we go from there.