Re: [agl-dev-community] #voiceagents #vshl-core

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020, francesco.argentieri@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Currently I've enabled voice agent on AGL image based on icefish 9.0.0 through qrcode from setting app. So the voice agent Alexa works very well answering all request sent by the user.
> But it doesn't answer when you try to control some device inside car such as A/C, window, ecc.

Yes, the vshl-capabilities binding theoretically exposes the Alexa Auto
SDK API related to those controls, but there has been no real attempt
that I know of at building an integration to test it on top of SDK 2.0.
It was proposed to build something for CES 2020, but there ended up being
not enough time to do so.

> Reading documentation about alexa-auto-sdk, I need move on new release (the latest supported officially is 2.3).</br>
> So moving into this direction is there a possible way to incorporate specific module aac-car-control in _icefish 9.0.0_ image? </br>
> I've tested the alexa-auto-sdk version 2.3 on my develop-machine (with the included sample app),  and I can achieve exactly the answer that I expect.</br>
> What I'm missing is to implement binder side in AGL-vshl.</p>
> Did someone already started or faced a similar development process?</br>

So I have started on an upgrade to SDK 2.3, and have it building locally
on top of AGL master/Jellyfish.  However, I see a connection issue that
has delayed pushing the upgrade.  I was exchanging emails with the Auto
SDK team about the problem, but they have gone silent, and I've not had
the time yet to dig into the SDK 2.3 code to debug what is happening.
It is on my TODO list; I will likely get started on that next week after
ELCE / YP Summit this week.  Note that I do not intend to backport any
changes to Icefish; Walt and Jan-Simon would need to weigh in on whether
they would want to do so.

With respect to support for things like the new car-control module, it is
my understanding that Amazon have vshl-capabilities binding updates for
things like that and the rewritten navigation API that came in 2.1, but so
far they have not contributed them.  ATM it is not currently my plan to
do anything beyond getting the most basic features of the CES demo working,
and it is unlikely that will include any work to update or add new APIs
via vshl-capabilities improvements.  If you do want them, it will likely
involve doing the development yourself (and hopefully contributing it to
the project).

One other thing to be aware of is that Amazon have stated that they will
no longer support the voiceagent binding as of the recent Auto SDK 3.0
release, and it has been removed from the Auto SDK source tree.  It is
currently unclear what that means for Alexa Auto SDK support going
forward.

Scott