Re: [agl-dev-community] AGL shell usage help

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 08:16:44PM +0000, ilies bogdan via lists.automotivelinux.org wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> While trying to learn how agl-compositor and its shell extensions work I have tried to write a simple app which creates a white background surface and a red panel that I am trying to link to top edge.So far I was able to create and set the background, but I am stuck for a while on how to create and display the panel.If anybody have time and willing to have a look into what I have done so far in here: https://github.com/ene-ilies/agl-shell-example I would appreciate the effort.The heavy logic is under this file: https://github.com/ene-ilies/agl-shell-example/blob/master/app/WaylandDisplay.cpp starting at line: 354.Whatever I tried so far I was not able to make the panel be visible.Maybe worth mentioning that I am using an agl develop image that I have build and which has no application installed, only the compositor and then I am installing the app that I am tying to test.
> In order to be able to bind to agl-shell I have assigned to my app a label of "homescreen".
Hi,

I only glanced at your work and I see you're not using any toolkit.  A
while back I've toyed a bit doing the same, this is what I come with
[1]. I 'adapted' the SHM client example from weston, into creating
multiple window/surfaces. I haven't tried in a while but should work.

I think it would be pretty nice to have something similar in AGL
repository, as a alternative to homescreen, but a bit more evolved so it
needs some clear polish (create other types of buffers, use EGL/GL), and
most like need to create some kind of toolkit library to handle drawing
some basic widgets and handle input.  Without handling input you won't
be able to switch between other applications. It is quite a bit of work.

Might also take a look at different toolkits as inspiration to see how
they handle wayland part. Probably QtWayland is quite big to follow, but
maybe there are there some more slimmer choices. Besides that, there's a nice
book/how-to around wayland at [2], which you might find useful.

[1] https://gitlab.collabora.com/mvlad/native-app
[2] https://wayland-book.com/