Re: [agl-dev-community] How do I setup a package repository for Automotive Grade Linux?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:50:29AM -0700, Alex Ryan wrote:
> Thanks Marius,
>
> I will explore this.
> I hope the AGL team will consider the absence of a repo is almost a deal killer for the application developers they presumably want to attract to their ecosystem.
> There's just no way they will tolerating having to go through the pain of getting a package installed on this platform when literally all of the other platform make it so easy.
Sure, but on the other hand nothing stops you for coming up with ideas
and solutions and potential work-arounds. I very well experienced the
conundrum deployment hassle is all about.

Someone might also argue that once you set-up your base environment
you'll just increase with a delta the things that you work on. From my
point of view deployment of what you're working seems to be the most
painful to deal with.

Applications developers might as well download a pre-built image and use
that, but problem from what I see is how you create a development
set-up. Maybe something like [1]?

It a bit unrealistic to assume that you'll be installing packages all the
time, most of your time you'll be spending compiling/packaging/deploying.
But then again, this has really nothing to do with AGL but with how
yocto/OE is used for, or better said intended to be used for. But on top
of that, you'll also need to take care of labeling system.

I guess some first steps would be to determine a) how to provide a package
repository -- I assume the target here  to avoid spending time on the initial
yocto build/deployment and b) how to change the package recipes as to
'carry' across the SMACK labels, but see below.

There's also some other considerations to take into account: while
system applications are using a package system, applications are bundled
in a zip file. You would normally transfer them to your target platform
and use the AFM to install it. There seems to be some documentation how
to do that using [2].

[1] https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/master/getting_started/reference/getting-started/app-workflow-prep-app.html
[2] https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/master/devguides/reference/xds/part-1/xds-overview.html