Re: [agl-dev-community] Binding CAN messages to the default demo Dashboard

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020, Riyad Amrani wrote:

>  Hi community,
>
> For my last semester school project, I am building a realistic car
> simulator with a real CAN bus network and real car parts.
> For the dashboard I thought about using AGL on RPI4 + 7inch touchscreen. I
> managed to install the demo app successfully on the RPI4. Now I want to
> update some data on the dashboard App for exemple the speed, rpm and fuel
> level. All this data is actually available on my CAN Network.
> I can receive and send CAN messages from AGL Linux terminal right now
> thanks PiCan3 Shield.
>
> So now I wanted to know how to route a specific CAN message to the
> Dashboard app and update the data there. It's really unclear to me how I
> can edit AGL to route specific CAN messages to some of the default apps. I
> couldn't find a clear topic on this.

At the moment, the vehicle and engine speeds and fuel level are handled in
the dashboard app via events from the signal composer binding that are
generated based on CAN message events from the CAN binding.  The aim of
this is to provide some abstraction from the underlying CAN messages.  If
you want to change the mapping done signal composer, look at the file:

conf.d/project/etc/sig-demoboard.json

in https://git.automotivelinux.org/apps/agl-service-signal-composer/

If you want to change the CAN message definitions to match your
simulator, that will require updating the CAN binding, see the
documentation at:

https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/master/apis_services/reference/signaling/1-Architecture.html

The binding code is at:

https://git.automotivelinux.org/apps/agl-service-can-low-level/

I've CC'ed Thomas Walzer, as he has been working on a similar project
with his students at Reutlingen University, it is possible that he may
have some ideas for you on how to approach it.

Scott