Re: [agl-dev-community] AGL v4l2 GStreamer modules #help

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020, Farshid Monhaseri wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I was testing v4l2 GStreamer plugins with AGL master(9.90.0), GStreamer 1.16.2 on imx6solo (automotive grade) and I noticed that some of the v4l2 GStreamer plugins which use the VPU (CODA 960) fail to load at runtime.
> This happens when they loaded by GStreamer API by application (launched by AFM). When I call the "gst_element_factory_make" GStreamer function to load those plugins, the returned values are "NULL".
>
> First I thought it is because of SMACK, but when I checked the journal messages, no warning or notification though from SMACK but I want to be sure so I gave full access to my app at "/etc/smack/access.d/..." manually and recursively changed the GStreamer shared libraries to SMACK labels to "_" but the result was same.
> Then I removed AGL dependences in my app and changed the Weston shell to "desktop-shell", I launch the app from the command line and it worked! ... all the v4l2 plugins loaded. Of course, the problem was not the Wayland shell, I test the app with "IVI-shell" too (without the app screen) and again the v4l2 GStreamer plugins loaded successfully. The plugins are loaded successfully with the GStreamer command-line tool "gst-launch-1.0" also.
>
> These plugins loaded anyway since they are general v4l2 GStreamer plugins:
> v4l2src
> v4l2sink
> v4l2radio
> The following plugins fail to load with AFM launch inside the app (GStreamer API):
> v4l2h264enc
> v4l2mpeg4enc
> v4l2mpeg4dec
> v4l2mpeg2dec
> v4l2h264dec
>
> It seems something in AFM security infrastructure (Security-Manager or Cynorgia) is blocking the v4l2 hardware-accelerated GStreamer plugins which use the CODA 960 VPU.
> First I would be appreciated if anyone can check the issue on his imx6 board, AGL 9.90.0, and GStreamer 1.16.2 (gstreamer-plugins-good) (if anyone) if not, Does anyone have any idea or hint about this issue?

Weston and the AGL applications run as non-root, so in addition to SMACK
labelling as '*', devices that they use need to have their group set as
"display" to be usable.  See the udev rules creation done by the
weston-init recipe in:

meta-agl/meta-agl-profile-graphical/recipes-graphics/wayland/weston-init.bbappend

or the rules file created by:

meta-agl/meta-agl-profile-cluster-qt5/recipes-qt/qt5/qtcompositor-conf_1.0.bb

for examples.

Scott