Re: [agl-dev-community] access to can-bus data

Hi Regina,

This is possible. If your system is directly connected to the internal CAN bus of the vehicle then you are able to read data flowing through it. Every frame received is timestamped by the kernel. About the location you are dependent on the location's data that you could get. It could come from the CAN, so timestamped also, or by another bus and in this case you'll rely on the component getting this information.

So, if you could access data from CAN bus, using the low-can binding of AGL you get timestamped messages. If everything you need come from it, then its fine else you have to do some work.

To use the low-can binding you have to take the OEM can bus data, translate this into a json file describing all signals to handle, then you generate your low-can binding that will handle those signals. The process is described in the documentation(1)

An heavy work is ongoing about the low-can now but will stabilize quickly :)

Regards.

Romain

1: https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/master/apis_services/reference/signaling/1-Architecture.html