HTML5 apps compositing & opacity

Hi everyone,

I have been evaluating AGL's HTML5 platform with Chromium. I must say I am quite impressed by the level of support it currently has on AGL, and HTML5/WebGL apps run remarkably smoothly on Renesas H3.

I am interested into porting custom automotive graphical apps into WebGL/HTML5 and I am currently in the process of evaluating/benchmarking it against a native OpenGL ES solution.

One thing I have noticed though is that there does not seem to be a way to gracefully handle background opacity of HTML5 apps. With current Qt/OpenGL demo apps, background opacity enables AGL to make use of Weston to create composite interfaces by stacking layers. This is how we are able to see the "wallpaper" behind apps such as homescreen or mediaplayer for instance. But with Chromium+WAM, a default background color seems to prevent this.

I can see clues [1] in WAM's code that a background color can be set at this level, but I am unsure how this relates to this issue. With bare HTML documents, I was not able to get background opacity to "work" correctly. I can imagine that the way it could be addressed (if WAM really supports this) would be to add a custom AGL permission to set this behavior (something like "urn:AGL:html5:background-transparent" ) at widget level.

Has this issue been addressed already ?

Thanks and best regards,
Théo.

[1] https://github.com/Igalia/webosose-wam/blob/master/src/core/WebPageBase.cpp#L383