Re: Virtual Dynamic Sound Card Update

Hi Walt,

Sure, I can do that. I have already set up a Jira issue:
https://jira.automotivelinux.org/browse/SPEC-1710

Regards,
Mark

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:45 AM Walt Miner <wminer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mark,
Can we move the code to an AGL gerrit repository to facilitate code reviews?

Regards,
Walt

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 8:25 PM Mark Farrugia <mark.farrugia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Thierry,

You are more than welcome to do a review, The best way to do this
would probably be through GitHub, or personally via email. It is up to
you.  Any suggestions, or advice is most welcome.

Our estimated roadmap is changing at the moment, as we are unsure
whether this will get accepted into the Linux mainline kernel.
Everything depends on the response we get from the Linux community.
For AGL however, we wish to have build recipes in for the GG 7.0
release at the latest, and hopefully late September at the earliest.

We have most recently been looking at how we can integrate a loopback
"Audio Path" for our AVIRT system, to replace the current aloop
driver. The new loopback will imitate the current aloop except that it
will have the following features:
- 1 substream per PCM device, where it has 1 PCM device per input
stream. This allows for each input to be named, and to have differing
SMACK labels.
- Since we have multiple devices (and not just 2 like aloop has) the
playback and capture interface will need to be on the same device. We
have tested playback and capture procedures running at the same time,
and it works.

If you have any requests, or feedback, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mark
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:49 AM thierry bultel <thierry.bultel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Many thanks for this.
> At first sight, that sounds good !
>
> Do you want a deeper code review, and if yes, through what channel ?
> Do you have a rough estimated roadmap ?
>
> Cheers
> Thierry
>
> On 08/27/2018 08:08 AM, Mark Farrugia wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have published our initial version of the Virtual Sound Driver that
> > we at Fiberdyne Systems have been working on recently.
> >
> > The source can be found for your perusal here:
> > https://github.com/fiberdyne/avirt
> >
> > The driver currently consists of:
> > - A top-level ALSA driver, avirt_core
> > - A low-level dummy example "Audio Path", dummyap
> >
> > The top-level ALSA driver implements a dynamically configurable
> > abstract ALSA middle-layer interface, and would be the global point of
> > entry for audio streams in AGL.
> > The low-level driver then subscribes as an "Audio Path", resulting in
> > switchable kernel-space routing from the top-level driver to the
> > low-level driver.
> >
> > The top-level driver also:
> > - Builds streams as individual devices, allowing for separate SMACK
> > security labels per sound stream (i.e. A "radio" stream can now have a
> > different security context to an "emergency" stream)
> > - Builds PCM devices with configurable names and channels, which can
> > be defined by 4A HALs, or externally.
> >
> > We are open to suggestions and feedback.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mark

Walt Miner

Engineering Project Manager