Re: space(s) in key or location names

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 09:42 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:
> I’m really struggling with this and hope someone can point me to a
> solution.
>
> I need to automount onto a mountpoint (directory, i.e. folder as it’s
> on OS X) that has a space in the name and I cannot change that. I’ve
> read many suggestions to escape the space with a ‘\’ or ‘\040’ or
> quote the path, but nothing I’ve tried works. It either simply fails
> to work or creates the mountpoint that includes the escape chars in
> its name.
>
> To clarify, other mounts that have no space involved work fine, so
> the basic setup is sound and if the automount is configured in a
> local (LDAP) directory, the space is no problem. However, I don’t
> want to use that method and really need to use simple map files in
> /etc, but there seems to be this issue with how they are parsed. I am
> clearly not the only person with this problem.
>
> I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain how to overcome
> this and allow for spaces in pathnames used in map files.

The handling of spaces in automounting when using Sun format maps is
difficult because of the syntax of the map format, it allows for
ambiguity which make quoting difficult.

So I'm not surprised to here this.
But sadly I don't think we can help you because OSX uses a different
implementation to Linux autofs which I know nothing about.

Ian