Re: space(s) in key or location names

On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 09:40 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 09:42 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:
> > I’m really struggling with this and hope someone can point me to a
> > solution.
> >
> > I need to automount onto a mountpoint (directory, i.e. folder as
> > it’s
> > on OS X) that has a space in the name and I cannot change that.
> > I’ve
> > read many suggestions to escape the space with a ‘\’ or ‘\040’ or
> > quote the path, but nothing I’ve tried works. It either simply
> > fails
> > to work or creates the mountpoint that includes the escape chars in
> > its name.
> >
> > To clarify, other mounts that have no space involved work fine, so
> > the basic setup is sound and if the automount is configured in a
> > local (LDAP) directory, the space is no problem. However, I don’t
> > want to use that method and really need to use simple map files in
> > /etc, but there seems to be this issue with how they are parsed. I
> > am
> > clearly not the only person with this problem.
> >
> > I’d really appreciate it if someone could explain how to overcome
> > this and allow for spaces in pathnames used in map files.
>
> The handling of spaces in automounting when using Sun format maps is
> difficult because of the syntax of the map format, it allows for
> ambiguity which make quoting difficult.
>
> So I'm not surprised to here this.
> But sadly I don't think we can help you because OSX uses a different
> implementation to Linux autofs which I know nothing about.

Thinking about this, if the OSX implementation is from the original BSD
(and a Google search shows the utilities look like those in old IRIX
distributions) then they would have been trying to provide
functionality as found in Solaris.

So a web search for Solars autofs documentation might help but quoting
in that was difficult too. For example I seem to remember that to quote
a location you needed to quote the path and not the server name, eg.
server:"/path/to share". Don't remember seeing anything about keys
though.