Re: 3ware 7500-8 controller, hardware or software raid, kernel crash

Andreas Kahnt wrote:
Hi,

after we format it, start to copy back the data (about 250GB) from nfs.
after about 2 minutes the kernel crash with some kind of io error on the
3ware controller. unfortunately we don't have time to write down the
kernel's error message since this is one of our production enviroment
server. what's more I wouldn't like to buy more such card to play with if
it's not  well functional. you can read the kernel log after that crash at
the end of this mail.

We had the same problem using SuSE-8.0/2.4.18. We 'solved' the problem using
6+1 - Raid-5 and removed the 8. disk. Now the last disk is a cold spare ;-).
This work well for a couple of months uptime.

are you kidding? hmm:-((
this is the truth??? I'm getting said:-(
do the 3ware are aware of this?
we'd like to buy more such cards, but we've a few server in which 7+1 is required....
or it's better if I use software raid and in that case the above problem doesn't occure what's more I've got better performance?