RE: Can't get Promise PDC20276 to go with ataraid

Hi Mark,

I already got in trouble with my FreeBSD statement, to my defence I want
to state that I just came home after a root canal and now that the
freezing is disappearing my normal senses are coming back ;-)

Your last line
[quote on]
	It certainly would be nice if the various distributions could
support
	these sort of controllers out of the box - as you say they are
	increasingly common and people do want to use them
[quote off]

It is my opinion that this should state:

It certainly will become necessary that RedHat needs to support this
hardware as it is commonly used on new high-end motherboards.
RedHat's claim to support desktop environments does not hold when kernel
builders at RedHat are not following common open standards.  Not only do
customers suffer from this, the Linux community is suffering as well.
The problems from the non-standard kernels in RedHat also affect
software distributions (VmWare is one of them).  If RedHat wants to stay
successful the engineering team has to start interacting with the
community and not act like they were living in Redmond.

I have not been able to gain anything from my 30 day support when I
bought RedHat 7.3 and registered it, neither with 8.0 actually.  Linux
distributions are now pushing for advanced support.  Thou shall pay a
fee of $ 39 - 90 US dollars a year to gain access to our patches that if
they break any of your applications are without warranty and you shall
not hold us liable.  Doesn't this start to sound familiar?

Okay enough ranting it is an unpleasant fact and we shall wait for RH
8.1 and see whether there is any progress....

Aldert E. van der Laan
London, Ontario Canada