Re: Can't get Promise PDC20276 to go with ataraid

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:54:28PM -0500, Aldert E. van der Laan wrote:
> It is my opinion that this should state:
>
> It certainly will become necessary that RedHat needs to support this
> hardware as it is commonly used on new high-end motherboards.

We'd more than LOVE to support this software raid out of the
box. Unfortionatly it's not that simple. The biggest issue is (and afaik
nobody has been able to find a way to fix this) that a lot of
people use the ataraid disks as separate disks, while the raid
signatures are still on the disk (eg the controller sees it as raid).
If the installer then uses the disk as raid the entire disk data
is trashed and corrupted. Since a lot of people do this, detecting and
avoiding this pitfall is a critical issue before the installer can use
this properly.

> RedHat's claim to support desktop environments does not hold when kernel
> builders at RedHat are not following common open standards.

where does this come from ?