RE: Can't get Promise PDC20276 to go with ataraid

> I see you folks are struggling with the same issue I had for over two
> months.  I do not want to discourage you, actually encourage you to keep
> posting your progress.  It is important that RedHat will get native
> support for this in later releases.

RedHat and any other major distribution. As you said these ATA RAID
controllers are showing up in more and more motherboards.

> The only solution at this moment is to boot with a hard drive attached
> to your normal IDE channel and compile the new kernel with the ATA raid.

I managed to install RedHat 7.3 from scratch on the ATA RAID with the
Promise driver and then move to 2.4.20 and use Native ATARAID. RedHat 8 is,
I guess, still problematic. One thing to try is to add Native ATA RAID
support to the RedHat setup sources, and install to a new computer via NFS
or FTP from a computer in the LAN using the modified version.

> Last Friday I took a day off to focus on this issue in my lab.  I
> installed a total different version of Linux called FreeBSD that does
> support the controller without going through all this hassle.  True, it

A small correction -- FreeBSD is NOT a form a Linux. It is a UNIX OS build
on top BSD-UNIX. It's a very stable system with many advantages, especially
when functioning as a server. I wanted to test it, and now that you say it
supports Promise RAID out-of-the-box I want to do it even more.

> is not as clean and does not have the simple rpm installs, but it is
> stable.  I have installed Apache and MySql on and backup software.

You should check out the "ports collection" -- some say that when you learn
how to use it it becomes as trivial as RPM.

Alon, Israel.