RE: Can't get Promise PDC20276 to go with ataraid

I see you folks are struggling with the same issue I had for over two
months.  I do not want to discourage you, actually encourage you to keep
posting your progress.  It is important that RedHat will get native
support for this in later releases.

The only solution at this moment is to boot with a hard drive attached
to your normal IDE channel and compile the new kernel with the ATA raid.
There are many things that can go wrong as you have already discovered,
even with the standard kernels in place.....  I have been installing
Phoebe (the Beta version of 8.1) and it is still not re-solved.

For maybe all the wrong reasons I started looking for a version of Linux
that does support the Promise 'raid' stuff out of the box.  I have
tested Debian with bf2.4 and no luck.  I tried Suse and still no luck,
all I got from user groups is to go back to previous versions.

Last Friday I took a day off to focus on this issue in my lab.  I
installed a total different version of Linux called FreeBSD that does
support the controller without going through all this hassle.  True, it
is not as clean and does not have the simple rpm installs, but it is
stable.  I have installed Apache and MySql on and backup software.
Right now this server is sitting in my lab for further testing and is
holding up perfect.  I just wish....  You know... that my beloved RedHat
would support this hardware.
Looking at the new hardware at www.tomshardware.com I see a lot of
motherboard manufacturers are using the Promise chipsets.  This can not
become an all Windows world!???

Aldert E. van der Laan
London, Ontario Canada