Re: Mixing ataraid and software raid

Dnia wtorek 21 styczeń 2003 15:31, Michael George napisał:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 05:15:49PM +0100, Marcin wrote:
> > Strongly disappointed, I came to the following question: is it possible
> > (and safe, of course) to use software raid-1 (which I succesfully run on
> > several others computers) for Linux, making /dev/hdeX and /dev/hdgX parts
> > of the software raid array, and simulaneously take advantage of Promise
> > feature in WinXP using FastTrack drivers array?
>
> I'm all new to this, but I thought that once the RAID was set up, you
> should *only* access the partitions through /dev/ataraid/d0pX and *never*
> by /dev/hdYZ...

Thanks for reply,

I know I _should_, but in case of failure of one drive, ataraid become
unusable (kernel oopsses). It's a home computer so I have to wait several
days for replacement of the hard drive, and want to work as usually (keeping
my finger crossed) during this period.
The question is still open: do I run into troubles mixing software and Promise
raid? Let's assume, that Linux do not touch /dev/ataraid/* devices, and
/dev/mdX is using only /dev/hdeX  and /dev/hdgX partitions.

--
Marcin