Re: redhat 8.0 and HighPoint372 ATA/133 RAID

> there exists no such thing as hpt hardware raid
> it's all in the driver, nothing in hardware

I'm not too raid savvy (that should be obvious ;); but, what precisely
does that chip on the motherboard painted 370 on it do, then?  What would
be the difference between a HPT370-enabled motherboard and another board
with simply an additional IDE controller on it?  There is surely some
hardware component present, as when the system boots up you can hit ctrl-S
I think it is to build your raid arrays and examine the disks.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but I insist on drawing a distinction between
a HPT370 controller and simply adding another standard IDE controller.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but while the HPT370 can indeed just work in
"normal" additional IDE controller mode, it presents to the system in raid
configuraton a device that apparently can't be seen without special
drivers.  This seems to put it squarely in a class of hardware-based
implementation to me.

I've heard the same criticism of the Promise raid solutions- are they too
manufactured by HPT?  Please educate me.

Thanks!