Re: Promise FastTrack Tx2 and RedHat 8

Thanks Murty,

unf was a bit late for me. :-)

I have successfully "upgraded" to RH 8.
Tho it was more of a controlled rebuild than a true upgrade. Possibly for the
best, at the end of the day, esp given the number of changes in core daemons
between RH7.3 and RH8.

Do note that I have not yet had to do a kernel re-compile.

As discussed earlier, I used an old 3Gb drive and built a basic RH8 system on
that. (as hda).
Without touching my existing ataraid disks.

One nasty side effect:
when the new rh8 system came up, it mounted the ataraid'd /usr partition
without being ataraided (from memory: /dev/hde1 vs /dev/hda5). Unf I have 4
drives in a raid 0 stripe (e -> h), so all sorts of things failed.
	Suggestion: don't let the new RH8 system go beyon RL3. At this stage you
should only have a minimal system in any event.

Luckily enough system tools existed on the root partition for me to modify
/etc/fstab and replace the "LABEL"s with the direct locations of those
partitions.

With backups of the ataraid'd /, /usr, /var partitions, I mkfs'd those
partitions. Then used dump/restore to move the new RH8 partitions across.

For those who've not done this before, a quick example:
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/ataraid/d0p1
mkdir /tmp/usr
mount /dev/ataraid/d0p1 /tmp/usr
cd /tmp/usr
	(should now be in a new partition/filesystem)
dump -0 -f - /usr | restore -r -f -

A bit of fiddling with the newer fstab, to load the ataraid partitions.
Similar with lilo.
Did have to create an initrd with ataraid and pdcraid in it.

Once you successfully boot off the new disks, there are no further problems.
RH8 doesn't (appear) to care any longer about what's under the filesystems.

Sucess at last!

Comments?
On the down side, I am not thrilled that I had to klude the upgrade together
like that. Of the flip, I prefer having a "known" virgin install that I can
use as a "rescue" environment. So having the extra disk is normal operation
for me - where I can get away with it anyway.

I really like Murty's suggestion for comparing performance measurements
between ataraid and "normal" raid - must try that....

Off topic for this list, but I was unhappy that the standard package installer
will not (obviously) allow for any other locations for packages than via CD.
I have created ISO's from the original CD's and loop-back mounted them, so
this was quite annoying.

- Steve