Re: Promise FastTrack Tx2 and RedHat 8

Hi

I think the following should work and if so this approach is
simpler.

1. Boot off the install CD like you normally do. Switch to second console
and see /proc/pci. Calculate your Append Line

2. Now, reboot with install CD but this time with the Append Line at the
boot prompt.

3. You should see both disks as regular IDE disks during
installation. Choose RAID and install software (md) raid
I recommend RAID 1 atleast for  /boot (/ if no /boot) unless ofcourse
you intend to build a system with md raid and not ataraid

4. After everything is complete, recompile kernel for ataraid and reboot
the machine to launch Linux with ataraid instead of md raid

If this method works, one can additionally collect some performance data
at the end of step 3 above and compare them against similar data collected
at the end of step 4. Although you may decide to use ataraid, such
comparison may be interesting.

Again if this method works and because md and ataraid are similar, we
should look into the code behind that RAID button and implement install
time ataraid.

Murty Rompalli