point me in the right direction...

I'm about to build a Red Hat file server for home usage -- mp3s, backups,
and possibly home directories.  I'm planning to buy a pair of large
(120gb, probably) HD's and run them RAID1.  The machine is an old PII/400
with 64 or 128mb of RAM (can't remember).

I want the OS on the RAID drives as well -- might as well protect the
OS from drive failure too.

I'm trying to decide:
  - How to do the RAID.
     - Promise RAID controller?
     - PCI IDE controller and software RAID?
     - Onboard IDE controller and software RAID?  (and HD overlay software)

  - Which OS to go with -- Red Hat 7.3 or 8.0.

Since this is a networked file server, performance will generally be
bandwidth-bound, so I'm not too worried about getting the very most out
of the RAID performance.  I want to keep CPU usage low though, since it's
only a 400mhz machine and it seems like most NICs use quite a bit of
CPU on their own.

I've read the ATA RAID HOWTO at murty.net and it looks like installation
won't be *too* painful once I choose a strategy.  Can anyone offer some
pointers?

Thanks.

--
 scott evans :: www.antisleep.com