Re: What is ATARAID and how does it work?

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Gary Shadley wrote:

> Then I would assume that ataraid is working correctly with my Promise
> Fastrak 100 lite controller.

Looks like that, yes.

> What happens suppose to happen if one of
> your disks fails in your mirrored array?  Does ataraid automatically
> rebuild the failed drive?

This depends on what you mean by "fail".
If one drive fails, a raid1 will continue working as another drive is
present. If it is a raid0 it will immedialy stop working..

If raid1 and you connect a new drive, you will have to manually rebuild
the array.

> Does ataraid make sure that the drives are in
> sync?

No it does not.
You can use just one drive, change it contents and then use the array
again and it will not detect differences. This was discussed on this list
earlier.

> Any help clarifying how ataraid actually works and what it
> suppose to do would be a great help

The only thing ataraid actually does is "making things usable". This
means, you can use a raid array with linux, but not more.
You will have to manage the array manually, e.g. with the controllers
setup.

ataraid is a software raid. The controller is a usual ide
controller, just with a bios, that manages the disks as a raid array, and
so does the linux driver.

If you want to use a raid1 array, you should think of linux's software
raid (md) instead of ataraid.
Linux's software raid is able to detect failures and out-of-syncs.

If you want to use raid0, it doesnt matter, as if one drive failes, the
raid0 array will be lost, no matter if it is a software raid or ataraid or
even a hardware raid.

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik