What is ATARAID and how does it work?

Does anyone know how ataraid actually works?  If you are using ataraid
and you can see you fs that are mounted using df -k

/dev/ataraid/d0p6
/dev/ataraid/d0p1
/dev/ataraid/d0p2
/dev/ataraid/d0p3
/dev/ataraid/d0p4

Then I would assume that ataraid is working correctly with my Promise
Fastrak 100 lite controller.  What happens suppose to happen if one of
your disks fails in your mirrored array?  Does ataraid automatically
rebuild the failed drive? Does ataraid make sure that the drives are in
sync?  Any help clarifying how ataraid actually works and what it
suppose to do would be a great help

Thanks.
Gary