Re: Does ATARAID resync an array if there's a power failure?

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Dave Stubbs wrote:

> When I powered back on, the Linux Software Raid begain resyncing the md
> device.  I saw no evidence that the ataraid software even looked at the
> array to make sure it was ok.
>
> Hence my question:  does ataraid resync?  Does it even know if there's a problem?

AFAIK it does not.

You can boot without ataraid, use one of the disks alone, changing its
contents and reboot with ataraid and it doesnt notice that the thing is
out of sync. And my system didnt even do anything after a full crash.

If you know such things did happen, you should resync the disks manually..

Another solution i mentioned earlier in this list would be some kind of
"safe read" feature: if the system reads data from a raid1 array it should
read the data from both disks and compare it, so being able to detect any
sync problem

But the master solution for now would be not to use ataraid at all,
and instead use linux software raid
If you do, you will have more swapspace :-)

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik