Re: 3ware escalade 7500 cards

Same success story here, running 3-Ware's in all of my servers and in a
few workstations too.

Just installed 8.0 on one of the workstations, driver autoloads during
install. The other machines are still running 7.2 and 7.3, no problems
installing either.

I am not using RAID 5 though, ATA disks are so inexpensive compared to
SCSI that I prefer stripe/mirror for better performance.

Monitoring and e-mail notification really work really well with these.
Recently crashed a disk, no worries at all, no losses, rebuild runs in
background. They even have hot-swap bays if you need them.

Think if you want to go for ATA RAID, 3-ware is IMHO the only option.

Cheers,

Karl

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 00:04, Forge wrote:
    Lists @ Apted Technologies Inc. wrote:

    >after a bad experience with a promise card under rh8.0, my employer is very
    >hesitant about trying another ata-raid card out under linux.  i found out
    >about the 3ware cards and support looks very promising.  rh8.0 has built in
    >support, its listed as compatible on redhat site, and there is even a daemon
    >utility you can use to monitor the card.  i was just wondering if anyone
    >here has dealt with, heard of, likes, dislikes or just has any type of input
    >on this family of cards that they would like to explain.  i need to convince
    >my boss to try another card.  if he had his way, it would be windows boxes
    >all the way.  our requirements are ata-raid, level 5, no less than four
    >channels, cache size isn't a big issue, and redhat 8.0 compatible (after
    >hours of arguing, he won't budge on the release version).  im basically just
    >searching here folks.  any ideas, directions, suggestions, or constructive
    >critizism would be most appreciated.

    Used them, love them, swear by them. Any system I work on that has ATA
    RAID has 3ware inside or will in the next few weeks.

    They're not quite as good as a true SCSI hardware RAID for
    mega-intensive server profiles (3ware cards tend to degrade rather
    ungracefully when they're pushed past their limits), but for a
    workstation they simply cannot be beat. An idea for a selling point:
    3wares are hardware RAID as well, which will free up some previously
    used CPU time, staving off CPU upgrades. (A little, anyway)

    - Rich 'Forge' Mingin