Re: hot swapping

I've seen IDE drive cages for sale, and they claim to be hot swappable. Eg: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH6038%0A

Promise has it's line of cages which appear to work with their ata controllers
too:
http://www.promise.com/product/superswap_list_eng.asp

I'm thinking of it in a RAID 1 scenario... The Promise cage make me wonder,
how much is in software, and how much is in hardware? Could we write a driver
to do some of this stuff (also use smart to determine failures etc).