Re: Promise raid controller moves ide0 and ide1

Frank Steiner wrote:

Hi,

Samuel Flory wrote:

Frank Steiner wrote:

Hi,

I have an Asus A7V266-E with an onboard Promise raid controller.
We are booting diskless with tftp. My problem is, that Linux
detects the promise controller before the normal IDE controller,
so that IDE0 and IDE1 are taken by the promise controller, and
the normal IDE controller gets IDE2 and IDE3.
This is very bad because the diskless clients share config files
and are expected to have their local harddisk at ide0.

Wouldn't it be easier to convert to using disk labels. (Assuming you

are running a distro that supports them.)
e2label /dev/hda2 foo
change LABEL=foo  for the normal device

or handle it in your rc.sysinit scripts:
hard =`grep -e hd. -e sda /proc/partitions | sed -e s/[0-9]//g -e "s/
//g" -e s/-// |sort |uniq |head`
mount /dev/$hard\1 /foo

that would work, but it is complicated as the client is just one among many other diskless clients, and making special adjustments for one client is difficult :-(

Actually I was thinking you could make the adjustmnet for all systems. The above code should find the 1st ide or scsi disk in the system, and mount the 1st partition on it to /foo. I use sed, sort, uniq to find drives in my custom nfs installer. In any case it's just a thought.