Re: Promise raid controller moves ide0 and ide1

Hi,

Samuel Flory wrote:

> Frank Steiner wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an Asus A7V266-E with an onboard Promise raid controller.
> >We are booting diskless with tftp. My problem is, that Linux
> >detects the promise controller before the normal IDE controller,
> >so that IDE0 and IDE1 are taken by the promise controller, and
> >the normal IDE controller gets IDE2 and IDE3.
> >This is very bad because the diskless clients share config files
> >and are expected to have their local harddisk at ide0.
> >

> >   Wouldn't it be easier to convert to using disk labels. (Assuming you
> are running a distro that supports them.)
> e2label /dev/hda2 foo
> change LABEL=foo  for the normal device
>
> or handle it in your rc.sysinit scripts:
> hard =`grep -e hd. -e sda  /proc/partitions | sed -e s/[0-9]//g -e "s/
> //g" -e s/-// |sort |uniq |head`
> mount /dev/$hard\1 /foo

that would work, but it is complicated as the client is just one
among many other diskless clients, and making special adjustments
for one client is difficult :-(

>    Boot the system with ide=reverse.  This will reverse the order that
> controllers are seen.

That works! Thanks! I will use this solution for now and try the
others one after another.

Thanks for the patch, I will check this out also!

Best regards,
Frank