Re: Software or Hardware?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samuel Flory" <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: Software or Hardware?

> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >The Promise RAID controllers "claim" to be hardware RAID controllers.
However,
> >it looks an aweful lot like the ataraid drivers in Linux are doing all the
array
> >management in software.  Is this a mistaken impression?
> >

>    Promise fasttrak cards do raid in the driver.  So effectively they
> are doing software raid.  (This is also why they can't spen source their
> driver.)  Their supertrak cards do hardware raid, but last I checked
> linux support was problematic.  If you want to do software raid I
> recommend the Promise Ultratrak.
>
>   3ware has a nice line of hardware raid controllers that are very well
> supported under linux.  The driver is open source, and they regularly
> update the driver in the mainline kernel.  The card come in 2, 4, 8, 12
> ports.  They cost a lot more, but you tend to get what you pay for.
>
>   Adaptec has a 4 port card that works well under linux.  Provided you
> use the dpt_i2o driver instead of generic i2o driver.  Their 2 port card
> is a highpoint card.

Ah!  So now it all makes sense!  So it IS software RAID.  Ok, I wasn't dreaming.
I definitely agree that if I had it to do over again I wouldn't go with the
Promise RAID controller, but now that my machine is running the beastie, it is
quite stable, so I'm not going to knock it.

Gotta love it - version 0.03beta on Linux is more stable than full release
Windows!

Dave...