Re: Software or Hardware?

Dave Stubbs wrote:

Hello all,

The Promise RAID controllers "claim" to be hardware RAID controllers.  However,
it looks an aweful lot like the ataraid drivers in Linux are doing all the array
management in software.  Is this a mistaken impression?

Promise fasttrak cards do raid in the driver. So effectively they are doing software raid. (This is also why they can't spen source their driver.) Their supertrak cards do hardware raid, but last I checked linux support was problematic. If you want to do software raid I recommend the Promise Ultratrak.

3ware has a nice line of hardware raid controllers that are very well supported under linux. The driver is open source, and they regularly update the driver in the mainline kernel. The card come in 2, 4, 8, 12 ports. They cost a lot more, but you tend to get what you pay for.

Adaptec has a 4 port card that works well under linux. Provided you use the dpt_i2o driver instead of generic i2o driver. Their 2 port card is a highpoint card.