Re: What to choose Att: Richard B

So what you REALLY want is a lot(!) of ATA disks that can be connected
somehow to a Linux box? :-)

If you're sure you want to use ATA cards, I'd suggest getting hold of
Promise or HighPoint and first send an email to their respective support
addresses and ask if there are any issues with using that many cards.
I'd wonder about IRQs and if all the BIOS will conflict or not?

My big concern would be reliabilty - It would be worth looking at
products specifically designed to handle lots of disks. How many do you
plan for? 6 cards * 2 channels/card * 2 drives/channel = 24 disks...
(with 100GB+ disks is a lot of storage) For that scale, SCSI to ATA-RAID
systems like Promise UltraTrak are not a bad idea... and if it's just a
dumb fileserver, some form of NAS might be a lot easier.

Anyway, have a look on www.promise.com, as well as www.3ware.com and
www.highpoint-tech.com for their "big" cards / systems.