Re: What to choose

Similar setup here, but Gigabyte Board with Promise 133 "Lite" + 40GB
Maxtors.. and it's been solid so far (once the initial setup was done).

Dave, I found it to be slow too to start, but finding the right kernel
version sorted out the performance issue for me. 2.4.18 was dog slow (no
dma being used) but 2.4.19-rc1 was plenty fast.

Anyway, as has been posted before, if you are on a real tight budget,
don't bother with ataraid - the setup hassle currently isn't worth it,
IMHO, depending on your system. Just get some fast but cheaper non-RAID
ATA controllers and use Linux softraid.

Either that, or spend the money and go for 3ware hardware ATA RAID or
SCSI hardware RAID.

If you want more info, can you post your intended purpose / setup to the
list? Eg, why 6 controllers?

Cheers,
Rich.