Re: 0+1 RAID - kernel panic

4.10.2002 14:11:46, "Thomas Stadel" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>hello everybody,
>
>i've set up a redhat 7.3 server with 4 ibm ic35 40gig drives in a raid 0+1
>array on my fasttrack100. the system is running well using the ft.o
>kernel-module from promise.
>now i compiled raid support into a custom 2.4.19 kernel , installed latest
>lilo and created a new entry for this kernel in lilo.conf. after getting
>unable to mount rootfs on the next boot i added an append line.
>now, i'm still getting kernel-panic-attempted to kill idle task after the
>system complains about EIP, although i trictly followed the howto..
>what could this be related to? does ataraid support booting from a 0+1
>array?
>
>any help is appreciated

I was in such a situation too, RH7.2 / 2.4.18 with ataraid, 2xHD mirror.
It was after RH/ft.o install several times failed - the machine simply got
frozen during partition format or packages copying - and then finally succeded.
The only what helped was to start again from the very beginning,
i.e. instal RH with ft.o, ...
before that, make sure you have all the discs synced
or array deleted & created again (using fasttrack bios).