Lost interrupt with Fasttrak TX2

I have a dual-boot system (Windows 98SE and Redhat Linux 7.2
with custom kernel 2.4.9-21) and I'm trying to install a Promise
Fasttrak TX2 with two 30 gb hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration.
(Too late I found out about Promise's remarkably poor Linux
support)

My custom kernel has support for the Promise card and RAID
compiled in. On startup, it detects the drives as hde and hdg, and it
finds the array as ataraid/d0, but all through the process it goes
really slow and gives "lost interrupt" errors. I tried everything I could
think of to get it to work, but it just doesn't. I read in the archives to
this list that there was a patch to the kernel to fix it, but the only one I
could find appeared to be for a different kernel. I'm loathe to replace
my kernel with one that is both not RedHat and seemingly an earlier
version as well, for fear of incompatibility problems or it otherwise
not working.

Does anyone have any ideas?