Re: Help moving root partition... raid problems

The raid has 2 disks in it... the second HD sometimes... since it started crashing... doesn't show up on the controller during to boot bios. The motherboard has 2 different controllers on it... the main one with a HD and CD.. then an HPT370 that is being used for the software raid with the other 2 HD's (I have 2 more on a promise card TX4 that aren't being used).
mdstat says all is ok when it is runnin... and in the syslog (and messages) there are no error messages.. it just stops during HD access... most of the crashes have happen while msec was checking file permissions.. but i disabled that and it still randomly crashes...

last time while making a backup of /home to the lone HD on a nightly cron job....

Shawn

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Shawn Evans wrote:

> I have my root partition on /dev/md0 (raid 1) and it has started crashing
> for no unknown reason (I think the controller or the Harddrive is failing).
> I need help doing two things.

The harddrive? Only one?

A RAID1 consists of at least two harddrives.. a raid1 with just
one harddrive doesnt make any sense.

> 1.  How can I move the root partition from /dev/md0 to another physical
> harddrive?... it is in and waiting.

use:

raidhotadd /dev/md0 <newdevice>
(e.g. raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdd1)

to add a mirror disk to the array
(perhaps you should edit your /etc/raidtab accordingly before)

OR use
dd if=/dev/md0 of=<newdevice> to simply copy all contents to another
device (at least of the same size as your raid1)

OR use
cp -a to copy the files logically to another directory
(avoid copying /proc)

BUT
if the controller is failing,
better use another pc or at least another controller to do this.

> 2.  How can I tell if the problem is the ide controller or the harddisk.
> (This sytem had been running for over 190 days without a hick-up?

What does syslog say?

What says /proc/mdstat?

What happens exactly?

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik