Re: Help moving root partition... raid problems

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Shawn Evans wrote:

> I have my root partition on /dev/md0 (raid 1) and it has started crashing
> for no unknown reason (I think the controller or the Harddrive is failing).
> I need help doing two things.

The harddrive? Only one?

A RAID1 consists of at least two harddrives.. a raid1 with just
one harddrive doesnt make any sense.

> 1.  How can I move the root partition from /dev/md0 to another physical
> harddrive?... it is in and waiting.

use:

raidhotadd /dev/md0 <newdevice>
(e.g. raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdd1)

to add a mirror disk to the array
(perhaps you should edit your /etc/raidtab accordingly before)

OR use
dd if=/dev/md0 of=<newdevice> to simply copy all contents to another
device (at least of the same size as your raid1)

OR use
cp -a to copy the files logically to another directory
(avoid copying /proc)

BUT
if the controller is failing,
better use another pc or at least another controller to do this.

> 2.  How can I tell if the problem is the ide controller or the harddisk.
> (This sytem had been running for over 190 days without a hick-up?

What does syslog say?

What says /proc/mdstat?

What happens exactly?

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik