Re: NEWBIE: Installing FastTrak 100 TX2 module during a Kickstart

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:01:47 -0500
Rebecca.R.Hepper@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for my question.
> If you think there is a better place, please direct me there.
>
> I am trying to kickstart a system with RedHat 7.1.  This system contains a
> Promise Fastrak 100 TX2 ATA RAID Controller.
>
> >From the Promise website I downloaded a package containing the modules for
> RedHat 7.1.  I modified the modules.cgz file on my floppy disk to include a
> ft.o module.   I copied this ft.o modules from the 2.4.2-2BOOT directory
> found when ripping apart the modules.cgz file downloaded from Promise.
> Using this module I get the following during installation:
>
> "going to insmod ft.o (path is null)
> /tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_unregister_module
> /tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_register
> /tmp/ft.o:  unresolved symbol scsi_register_module"
> Then eventually, "No valid devices found on which to create new
> filesystems"
>
> If I use the ft.o module from the 2.4.2-2 directory I will get the
> following message:
>
> "/tmp/ft.o:  kernel-module was compiled for kernel version 2.4.2-2 while
> this kernel is version 2.4.2-2BOOT"
>
> I'm confused!!  What the heck is going on?  Granted I know nothing about
> modules, but here is a stab at the cause of my problem:
> My floppy has version 2.4.2-2BOOT of the kernel which needs the version
> 2.4.2-2BOOT of ft.o.  The final installed system has version 2.4.2-2 of the
> kernel which requires the same version of ft.o.  Does that sound right?
> So, how do I get this ft.o module installed?

Sure, you want to? HW RAID functionality is more or less a gimmick, and
current kernel support these cards natively as simple IDE controllers.
You can have software RAID funct. on top of these devices, which is
significantly faster, too, BTW. I wouldn't trust any closed source
modules, even if they happen to work by chance.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure, you will _want_ to upgrade to a newer kernel
release. 2.4.2 is a prehistoric one from kernel point of view...

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Rebecca

Cheers,