Re: Problem mounting Promise Fasttrak66

Hi

What do you see when you type
cat /proc/cmdline
or, whats your lilo.conf.

Because your Linux is not on raid, CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE is not a problem.

What are your raid disks: hde, hdf or hde, hdg

It is possible that one of the disks or the raid controller is bad...but
before we conclude that make some space on the raid device and create one
dos partition and one linux native partition. See if you can mount these
two partions and read/write data without any problems.

Another possibility is that linux is not seeing the geometry of raid disks
correctly. Verify that fdisk reports correct size, CHS for those disks.

Good luck,

Murty

Hi Murty,

cat /proc/cmdline gives 'ro root=/dev/hda2/ hdc=ide-scsi', where hdc is a cdr.
I'm using grub instead of lilo, so I don't have a lilo.conf file, but could give you my grub.conf if you like?

My raid disks are recognized as hde and hdg. I take it that you understand that I have no problem running Windows XP on the array, but I will repartition it to make room for another dos partition and a linux partition, if you think that is necessary.

I don't quite understand disk geometry yet, so i'm not sure if my CHS values are correct. When I do a fdisk -l on the first drive in the array (hde), I see:

[root@dhcppc1 rogun]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hde

Disk /dev/hde: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2495 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

  Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1   *         1      4990  40082143+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

This doesn't look right to me, but I'm not sure that I understand what I'm doing yet. The two disks on the array are both 20GB wdc drives and the model number is WD205BA. The specs can be found at http://www.wdc.com/products/legacy/Legacy.asp?r=3 if you feel like looking at it.

Below is part of the error message I receive while booting. I think I left something out the first time.

PDC202XX: Primary channel reset.
ide2: reset: success
hde: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hde: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=80164341, sector=80164278
end_request: I/O error, dev 21:01 (hde), sector 80164278

Thanks for the help and I would appreciate any comments you might have.

Roger