Problem mounting Promise Fasttrak66

Hi again everyone,

I still haven't been able to figure out my problem and thought I would try asking again. I'll try to be more clear about my situation this time around.

I have Redhat 7.3 installed on the drive connected to the primary master ide controller on my motherboard: this is not the same as my fasttrak raid controller, which is on a pci card.

On my fasttrak66 raid controller I have two 20GB wdc drives, which are setup as one striped 40GB drive. On this drive I run Windows XP. What I want to do is mount this drive in linux as an ataraid device, so I can browse my windows installation.

What I tried was installing Redhat 7.3 as a standard workstation installation and then using insmod to insert the ataraid.o and pdcraid.o modules, but nothing else. However, after mounting /dev/ataraid/d0p1 it doesn't appear to recognize both drives because the file names all appear messed up. It works fine in Windows XP, so I assume that nothing is wrong with my card.

When I boot to Redhat 7.3 I receive an error as it tries to read the first disk connected to the array, which it recognizes as hde at this point. The message looks like:

"hde: read_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=80164341, sector=80164278 hde: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }"

but that's before using insmod to insert the modules. It eventually stops trying and continues booting as normal.

Also, in my kernel config I noticed that "CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE" is commented out. Could this be the problem? Everything else looks fine, as far as I know. I can do a fdisk -l on the array, once it's mounted, and it seems to recognize it okay. The only problem comes when I try to browse the drive and then everything appears corrupted.

I appreciate all who have tried to help already. I'm determined to get this working and would appreciate any other help available.

Thanks!

Roger