Re: how do I controll the disks?

Hi
I am sending you the same reply that sent to someone else. Read below (And
remember: I may be wrong partially; ask others to confirm)

Some of the Promise cards offer the
additional features of Hot Swap and Hot Spare. Check www.promise.com to
find out appropriate card if you want either of these features. The card
you specified, I think, is the entry model which means that it does not
support these additional feature. Therefore you cannot pull disks while
system is running.

If one of the disks is not ok, you would see error messages on the console
and also in /var/log/messages. When you are the only one logged in and no
critical apps are running, type "find /" and make sure that the hard disks
lights blink alternately. This is a basic check to ensure raid
functioning.

ataraid drivers are constantly evolving and right now these do not handle
hot spare/hot swap issues very well. Neverthless, raid is still worth
because your data is intact, in case of disk failure, upto the minute as
opposed to your most recent back up.

Thanks
Murty