To Chuck and Karl

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm using hotmail and don't seem to be getting any messages from the listserver for some reason, but I saw your replies in the archives.

To summarize, here is my original message and my reply below it:

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to linux and don't know very much about raid controllers
either.  I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to post, but I'm
hoping someone will direct me elsewhere if needed.

I am currently running WinXP on a Promise Fasttrak 66 controller card.  I
have installed Redhat 7.3 on the primary master ide controller, such as
linux recognizes it as hda.  I am wondering what I must do to mount the
WinXP partition on the Fasttrak controller?

I tried inserting the ataraid and pdcraid modules and then mounting the
drive, but it's not reading the fs properly or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

I apologize for not being very clear before. I already have a dual-boot system, with Redhat 7.3 installed on hda and WinXP installed on the drives connected to the raid controller, as hde and hdg, setup in Raid 0 mode. I also have a dos drive connected to the primary slave as hdb and two cdroms connected to the secondary controller as hdc and hdd.

The only drives connected to my Promise Fasttrak66 controller are hde and hdg, which are running WinXP. My goal is to be able to mount my WinXP installation, which is on the raid controller, while in linux.

The WinXP installation is using Fat32 and not NTFS, so that shouldn't be the problem. I can load the modules and if I do a fdisk -l /dev/ataraid/d0 command it seems to recognize everything okay.

However, while booting I receive an error message when it tries to initialize hde. It eventually resets and continues to boot. I also sometimes have a problem when i try to load the pdcraid.o module. It will hang and when i do a /sbin/lsmod it shows it as 'initializing'.

When I am able to load the modules okay, I can then mount /dev/ataraid/d0p1 and all seems well, but when I do a ls command on the the drive all the filenames are messed up, although it seems to see them. I have no problem using the drive while running WinXP, so I would think that it's working properly.

Any ideas?

Roger

Drive Summary:
hda = ide0 primary master running Redhat 7.3
hdb = ide0 primary slave running dos
hdc = ide1 secondary master cd-rewriteable
hdd = ide1 secondary slave dvd player
hde = drive on raid controller running WinXP in raid 0 mode w/ hdg
hdg = drive on raid controller running WinXP in raid 0 mode w/ hde