Re: Any alternative to HPT 372 closed source drivers?

My own limited experience with the HPT chip says that IDE functionality will
pose no problem at all.  Your drives will simply be recognized at hde, hdf,
hd... and so on.  As I recall from the manual, if you elected to use the raid
ability, not all raid functions are supported.  As I recall the on-board
controller will support raid 0 and raid 1, but not raid 0+1 or raid 5.  I may
well be corrected on the specifics of this but it seems that the only way to
get all raid functions from the same chip was to purchase it in an add-on
board.  Support for the IDE function is built in to the kernel I think under
a HPT366 support option.  I used the Abit board with on-board HPT370 for some
time and had no direct IDE problems at all.  At one time I had 8 drives
connected:  5 hd, CD-ROM, CD-R, and DVD.  All functioned well, if you can
discount operator confusion.  It seems to me that the HighPoint drivers are
for raid functions only.  Richard