Any alternative to HPT 372 closed source drivers?

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right list, but it seems the closest I can find. Please let me know if I am off-topic. Thanks. :-)

I am considering the purchase of a motherboard with an onboard Highpoint HPT-372 ide raid controller. However, the only drivers I have been able to find are the Highpoint binary-only drivers, which come with a custom binary-only kernel. I don't want to use these drivers because I don't like the idea of not being able to upgrade my kernel if a problem arises.

Is there any alternative? Will hpt366.c or hptraid.c work? I don't need RAID at all, just standard IDE functionality.

Elsewhere in this list I saw this posted by Gu Mingming:

I found this is caused by a programming error in hpt366.c,
it uses revision id as an array index to display name
string, however HPT372's revision is 5 which is an outbound
You can modify the file yourself and build a new kernel to
solve it before it was modified in Linux releases.

Is this small change be enough to get standard IDE functionality out of the hpt372 or is a lot more work needed? Again, I don't need RAID, just standard IDE functionality.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Lorenzo